A Cream Cheese Bonanza Cake!
The first new recipe to make the cut for the top 12, is the Bonanza Cake. The name is inspired by 2 people. First of all, my step brother Bryan selected the base recipe. I say base because I start with a foundation and ALWAYS deviate! It has bananas in it. Bonanza/banana kind of goes together, just say it fast. Second, my dad is out in Colorado right now in Breckenridge. One of the runs I spent many hours learning on is called Bonanza. So here I am with an amazing cake and my dad (BIG sweet tooth guy) is out of town… the name is for you dad, since you won’t get to taste it!!
The way I’m going to lay out my recipe blogs are as follows:
First tell you the inspiration, then the ingredients you will need followed by step to step instructions on how to make it. I’ll add pictures in to the end so you can see everything (I need them!) and tell you any tips I can. Would love your feedback.
Cream Cheese Bonanza Cake ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 normal sized bananas)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (to keep the bananas from discoloring)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2-3 tsp of vanilla (I ALWAYS add more vanilla to everything)
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting ingredients:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 packages cream cheese (I use light. total 16 ounces)
- 2-3 tsp vanilla
- 7 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat to 275 degrees. I have started cooking on the convection setting and really like it. Grease 2- 9 inch or 3 – 8 inch round pans.
- Mix mashed bananas and lemon juice in small bowl and set aside.
- Mix four, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Using Stach, cream 3/4 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs then add vanilla.
- STIR in banana mixture.
- Separate batter among greased pans. Mixture will be thick. Just spread around, don’t pat or shake the mixture down.
- Cook for 55 minutes, test with toothpick, add 5 more minutes if needed. You do not want to overcook but the toothpick needs to come out clean.
- Remove pans from oven and place directly in the freezer for 45 minutes. This makes the cake very moist and you’ll thank me later!
- Frosting: cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add vanilla. Add confectioner’s sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Frost cake once cooled. Add your own decor to make it your own!
And remember, never leave the kitchen with a clean apron!!
Mash the bananas with the bottom of a measuring cup then use the cup to measure out 1.5 cups. The lemon juice acts to preserve the color of the banana. All the dry ingredients should be combined in a small bowl with a wisk.