Hidden Valley was right… vegetables are delectable!!
I am not a big tomato fan. Correction – I don’t like most tomatoes. With that said, this is the year of trying new things, so tonight I’m being bold! I found a picture on Pinterest (where all the good stuff comes from) of what I thought was pizza and it looked delicious. I soon found out it was veggies but I still wanted to try it. Since I only post my favorites, you know this one has to be good. I hope you explore some new veggie combos and spice up your meals!
Blog note: Have you ever gone in to Publix, bought more than what you needed and left the store leaving what you really needed behind? I’ll admit, I have and I did that again tonight! The critical ingredients – zucchini and tomatoes – were left behind (the ONLY things I really needed!).
So back to Publix I went!
Zucchini + Tomato Boats Ingredients (serves 4 – 1 boat each)
- 2 Zucchini Squash
- 2 small tomatoes OR grape tomatoes (your favorite will work)
- olive oil to coat inside/outside of zucchini
- bread crumbs
- your favorite seasoning blend (I used garlic salt, pepper and basil)
- parmesan cheese
- Using a potato peeler, remove a portion of 2 sides of the zucchini so the halves with lay flat. Cut the zucchini in half.
2. Scrap out the center of the zucchini (to remove the seeds) to form the boat.
3. Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning to taste.
4. Cut tomatoes and place on zucchini.
5. Top with a light layer of bread crumbs.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and top with mozzarella.
8. Place back in oven for 8 minutes on BROIL, until the cheese is bubbly. Top with parsley.
IS WAS so good. Remember earlier when I said I thought this was pizza? Well, it does has a pizza like flavor to it! Tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, minus the dough! This is a great healthy dish. zucchini are a good source of fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium. Read more about the benefits here.
But I’m not a health nut, I’m a sweet tooth. While this was baking, I was thinking about the ice cream I bought at Publix (not originally on the list, but did make it home!) I went to an amazing cycle class tonight at the Flagler Center YMCA so a small bowl is definitely a must!