Stop slicing the onions into microscopic pieces. Stop adding barbecue or teriyaki sauce to mask the greens. Hold the butter and greasy meats. Replace with a stuffed pepper!
This is another first time food for me and this surpassed all expectations! I love peppers: sautéed – grilled – raw – skinned. But the question is will HE [fill in the blank for that person in your life who won’t eat veggies]
eat like them?
Healthy Stuffed Peppers Ingredients:
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3 large peppers – sweet red, green or orange (I picked green because they were on sale!)
- 1 – 15 oz can fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked rice
- shredded cheese for top
Saute garlic and parsley. Add ground turkey, cumin, garlic powder and cook meat completely. Add tomato sauce and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Mix well and simmer for about 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In the meantime, wash and cut peppers in half. (note: I cut my peppers horizontally but they really should be cut VERTICALLY – whoops!) Remove seeds and place peppers in a baking dish.
Spoon the mixture into each pepper half and fill to the top. I literally stuffed the peppers to the max! Pour the remaining chicken broth into the bottom of the baking dish. Pictures only show 4 halves (2 peppers) but the recipe yields enough for 6 halves. Each half is one serving.
Cover with Aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, top with cheese and put back into oven without the foil. Continue to bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, serve and enjoy!
This is a super healthy recipe and there are so many little alterations you could make to change the whole flavor. Here are a few thoughts I had while enjoying this scrumptious dinner! Do you have any?
- Use salsa instead of tomato sauce, add black beans for a mexican dish.
- Use mozzarella, pepperoni pieces, etc for an italian dish.
- Substitute meat for black beans, corn and increase rice for a vegetarian southwest dish.
- Shredded chicken and light barbecue sauce for a southern pulled chicken dish, minus the carbs!
Yumm… can’t wait to try other variations!!